Reuse old calendars as you put up the new with these amazing craft ideas! Recycle and reuse those pretty pictures to make something new. The year may be over, but that doesn’t mean you have to throw out your calendar. If you love last year’s colours and images, consider some new uses for the pages! Reuse old calendars and calendar images by making them into some useful and decorative new things. Recycle the pages of your calendar into one of these great projects and make last year last a little longer.
1. Wrapping Paper. This is an especially great repurposing project for oversized calendars! You can even use the proper month for a friend’s birthday and circle their birthdate.
2. Envelopes. Follow simple online tutorials for making envelopes and envelope liners from old calendar pages and start sending your mail in a more personal way.
3. Coasters. Some old tiles and Mod Podge will make your used calendar like new when you make mug coasters. Trace the tile onto your favourite images and cut them down to size for the perfect fit.
4. Boxes. Take a stab at this folded box made from old calendar pages with the instructions found on Scissors and Spoons. Depending on the size of your calendar, the box can be the perfect size for small gifts, party favours, or for organising small items in your junk drawer!
5. Decorated tin cans. Old tin cans can be used for all kinds of things and can be quite decorative on their own, but try adding some fun images from your calendar and they become even more fabulous. Simply mod-podge the images straight onto the cans or paint the cans first and then add the images. Finish off with twine tied around the top.
6. Gift Bags. Gift Bags generally use 2 calendar pages folded and glued together. Add coloured ribbon or string for handles and the bag is just right for a small gift.
7. Decoupaged Furniture. Any old piece of furniture can be painted and improved, but if you really want to add creative flair then add decoupage images to the surface and have a unique creative piece.
8. Gallery Wall. A gallery wall is a great solution for reusing calendar images you don’t want to cut up! Find a wall in your home that needs a makeover and get a set of frames that will fit your pages, or just trim them down to size. Your new gallery is sure to become a focal point in any room.
9. Notebooks. Make your own notebooks by folding your image in half and stitching pages into the spine. The outside spine can be covered in Washi tape to add further detail. Make a variety of sizes based on how large or small your calendar is – keep a smaller one in your handbag for grocery lists or make a bigger one for the kids to draw in.
10. Matching game or puzzle. This is a fun project if you need some easy entertainment for the little ones. Use the small pictures on the back of the calendar to play a matching game with the full-size pages or cut pages into pieces to create a simple puzzle.
11. Pendant banner. Using a simple triangular template, you’ll have a great up-cycled pendant banner to use for decorating, parties, and more. Add lettering to turn it into a birthday bunting or welcome home for family!
Get creative with those old calendars, we brainstormed some more ideas for those pretty pictures! Try one of these ideas:
Make your own confetti
What other ideas can you think of? The possibilities are endless!
Workshops are available throughout the year which will take you step by step through the decoupage process, making boxes and gift bags using various techniques and making pendant banners. Contact us for more details if you want to explore these projects further.